Sunday 9 March 2008

Say What?

Today I received my first comment. It’s strange now I really am writing about people. I don’t think my whole blog’s purpose was realised because of it. Or at least it doesn’t feel like that yet. I’m in a slight state of shock. It’s hard to separate what’s blogable and what’s a comment on a comment. I need someone here to ground me, but there isn’t anyone.

This is an art in its infancy, without a manual and one that I still don’t think I’ve mastered.

This sure is gonna be weird for that person to read.


(And I apologise MUCHLY that the page is a bit of a mess and most of the hyperlinks don’t work, but it is in desperate need of repair, and unfortunately this will have to be another night)


I think to some degree it scared me off blogging altogether. I saw the comment and had to read over the post it was referring to, because I had no idea what I had been on about. This of course led to me going through almost all of my past blog and correcting the spelling, and my at times poorly explained ideas and bad grammar. And now I have a headache. It’s about 34°C (93.2°F) in here, and I have no idea what to do next. I also have no idea why I felt the need to talk about this on my blog, which is awkward and was the cause of the problem anyway.

It really is scary. Someone was/is listening. I’m writing about people.

I read Musings blogs today. She has many. I have been meaning to do this for ages. Musings was the first person on Blogger that said soemthing about what I had said about Amanda, but this was before I had a blog. So I thought I might repay the favour and see what she was up to. I was really surprised to find that she didn’t have many comments. But then I guess it is a common misconception that comments are a measure of how good a blog is, and I think that we should all keep this in mind.


I feel much better now and I guess that’s all I have to say.


Much love.

Anika☆

4 comments:

  1. Anika,

    Thank you so much for your comment. I have left the blogging space here for a little while (as I've gotten absorbed by work, Shadowbox, and the other), and so have not kept up with those. I actually have a newer blog that I keep up with more frequently these days on myspace (www.myspace.com/musingsamusings), and I get a few comments there, but it's really helpful and motivating for me to see the view count there, and know, even without comments, that someone is reading.

    What do I feel about blogging and comments? I think a lot of people blog for a lot of different reasons. I actually became "Musings" to blog, because I was looking for a creative space where no one would know me. The problem with that is, I guess, that... no one would know me, and it's not that easy to start up a random blog that no one knows about. Still, it allowed me to be creative in many ways for a little while, and was sort of like a public journal with the privacy I needed as well.

    I find that doing the same thing through Myspace, or a few of the forums I now frequent, is just as helpful. I think if you are blogging, you have to decide: are you doing this for yourself? are you doing this for someone in particular? are you doing this for an audience? The blogs I put together here, are just for myself, whereas the myspace one continues to exist because I know I have an audience. But they have to be for myself as well, otherwise it wouldn't work, on an emotional level.

    On the question of Amanda Palmer (as a mentor, which I think is what you discussed in the post before), I think it's important to realize that however she may inspire you, your creation is still yours, and you have taken whatever she gives you and made something beautiful that is yours.

    And that is something you can have, whether anyone comments or not.

    Be well, friend. Sorry for rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, updates!
    Anyway, I guess I also have this "challenge addicted" character in relationships. I tend to want to claim friendship with any more or less well-known talented person I meet, and I'm not easily defeated by the many other people asking for it.
    But yes it's generally frustrating..
    One way I'm keeping myself from becoming a desperate, drooling fan is to tell myself I'd more easily get friends with all those fabulous people if I'm fabulous myself. so I work on my crafts, try to do something meaningful, original, and as musings said, only mine, and while doing it, well, I get more in love with my own growth than with someone else...
    ... and eventually get some "fans" of my own, all proportions kept. Interesting reversal of situation hey !
    so keep singing, and your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting for new blog to post a comment on, but this will do.

    Yeah, deciding where to put a comment down can be frustrating... I actually laugh sometimes because I almost always have something to say in response to Amanda's blog (did you see the new one? - it's good) but now I can contact her through blogger, and myspace, and shadowbox, and facebook... it's like an overwhelming amount of contact for someone I, realistically, only tangentially know.

    Thank you very much for reading my Myspace! I actually only started up a myspace for something shadowbox-related, and currently it isn't being used really except when I write poetry, so I don't know how long that will last. Actually, you should look up the thread for the Shadowbox Book, if you are so inclined, it is something I think you would be great to contribute in -- collection of poetry and art from Shadowbox fans to be given in a book to Amanda/Brian.

    I read a lot of your blog last week. You are a great writer and carry a lot of emotion with your words.

    I think (I almost wrote about this in my new blog, but did something else instead) that it's interesting how need works. Amanda needs us, as fans, as much as we need her as inspiration. There's a beautiful balance in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a new blog now. You may have noticed all the dates are fake, they are the days I wrote it into my blogging Word document, not the day it actually appears, because I can only upload very sporadically at times. But this Easter season is going to be a time of regular updates! Yay! I know and hope you will like this one, you both had a considerable influence on it (hope I’m not embarrassing you too much, he he).

    Idril your point about the reversal is very interesting. If this is true for me I would say that the blog is undoubtedly the pivot point of the paradox. I started it with the very simple want – just because Amanda was doing it. She introduced me to blogging and seemed to enjoy it herself, so I thought it could be fun. My first blog, last year’s unspoken unposted feast of negativity and fights, was just that. I then got into a very Zen mindset about it and turned it around into something much more positive. As this was progressing nicely I was also making many maniacal comments on Amanda’s blog and lamenting the fact of not having any comments myself, and lo and behold someone saw my crazy letter and gave me a comment. Now spurred on by this I have been able to make even better posts, find a purpose and why I am doing it, thoroughly connect with people both ways, and move past Amanda who I am fully at ease with and made sane comments to this time. Ah… this is my blog, my thoughts, and my love to you all!

    Anika.

    ReplyDelete