Thursday 10 July 2008

Right Now (I Want)

Right now I am lying on my back, in my bed, a little cold since I just got up to grab my phone. It is 11:46 pm, I don’t care. Having got into my natural sleeping pattern 2 am till 11 pm, I probably won’t feel tired for a while. I was having some thoughts, firstly that I am living for my blog and probably boring you all to death in the process, and that all the directories I submitted myself to have done nothing, and secondly about a song. A song that I would be writing now was my mother not sick and lying in bed right now cursing my name for not letting her sleep. It is my own song, one that happened during the writing of Deconstruction. I did indeed finish my song about Melbourne, but I am admittedly not that keen on it. But after having a good old technological purge about it, lyrics started pouring from me organically. Long rhythmic strings of distorted grungy folk song sung with a rock-chick meets Bronx street sort of flavour. A variety of music I as yet haven’t explored. I wanted to grab myself some chopsticks and tin cans, slap my hands on my knees, pound the large plastic rubbish bin for base, strum at my mother’s out of tune guitar regardless and create this magnificent riff on the only instrument I can really play – the harmonica. What a great bluesy wholly within my means song this could be.

I want to buy a piano. A little Casio with some virtual instruments, I’m sure if it was there I could learn or at least crank out something half decent and in the spirit of the feeling. I never had a real instrument in the family.

I want to buy a better microphone for my computer.

I want to take my laptop to school and sample my dance track of sharps and flats, I want to remix it, produce it and call it just that.

I want to be able to do death metal, girly pop, rock, cabaret, grunge, show-tunes, punk and blues.

I want someone to sing with me, anyone, who doesn’t think I ruin their voice or the song.

I want to be able to share my songs again.

I want to finally hand that girl whom I don’t like talking about on here that note about still feeling her absence. I wanted to care enough to hand her the first draft in the two seconds she loitered near the teachers’ office near my locker.

I wanted her to be my base player not Sims 2’s idea of Mary~Jane.

I want to be a one woman empire and finally direct all my music videos, despite what they might say about me holding a cigarette in one of them.

I want to be controversial and brave.

I want to take some steps towards my dream. I realised tonight that it has to be done in baby steps.

I want to try and live with my grandmother, or at least live in Melbourne for more than three days. Alone. Without my mother. The idea of stepping off a tram onto Elizabeth St makes me smile so wide even now.

I want to visit Myers.

I want to take charge. I can imagine living in my own Granny flat at the back of my grandmother’s, filled with my own carefully selected lot of tasteful modern package deal furniture, as being one of the happiest and possibly most fulfilling times in my life. All my frustrated Taurean home energies from the cubby house that never got built and the room that never got renovated. Travelling by my own means, no-one (although clichéd) telling me what to do, my OWN university experience. I could almost enjoy having no purpose to answer to if that was the life I started in. And I could stay as long as I wanted to.

I want to do this.

I want to throw all my careers advice leaflets in the microwave along with the sports pendants and strings of pearls.

God save us all.

3 comments:

  1. sorry for the delay. I'm drowning right now in thesis hell, Which I'm *almost literally* loosing my head over, and the length of posts and commenting to be done was never ending. I'll try to be short, for my own sake (i need to get up early tomorrow to do an interview), and for your own regret.

    I won't comment yet on the short story. I listened to the other posts... guess.. While going to see the fireworks on Bastille Day ! How exotic and typical isn't it. I even listened to some of it while watching them. Quite off in terms of excitment but a weird experience. The fireworks were beautiful, and the people around pretty rude, exploding crackers at our feet (i was glad my earphones prevented me from becoming deaf twice).
    But anyway.

    Deconstruction :
    - i don't get it.. before you stopped and told yoruself it was actually hard work, you still were pretty focused on it and motivated by it weren't you ? sometimes hard labour and constructive joy can be felt in the same time. It's not uncompatible.. There is the inspiration, and there is the research, and there is the doubts (which is the really painful part), they are ALL parts in them ! and actually when you finish it, it's a much bestest feeling than the joy of inspiration, it's complete satisfaction, even more when you've worked hard on it. It *is* art. This is art. Art is working with this dream in mind and doing all the hard process of giving it birth ! You actually seemed to be much motivated by it, so why stop ? I remember this poem i had to write for a creative writing class at Melbourne Uni (yes yes my dear ..).. I was sweating blood and tears all over it, it was great at first then hard as hell, and then after a few looking after for the clue, the answer, i found the perfect image and VOILA, i had it, and it was the most brilliant feeling ever. Because of all of this thought on it, it was alive of its own and it was damn meaningful. It's one of the things i've written i'm most proud of . so the base message is
    don't
    give
    up !

    The pictures : when they were not there i could only imagine. It gives a good idea. It gives substance to what you said. AND I saw your knees ! wow. Amazing.

    I laughed at loud at the end of all the options. In the middle of the street and crackers exploding. Amazing. I guess i don't have anything to say reading "Right Now". But... I say that a precarious try at Living is better than a secure choice at locking yourself in.
    Really.
    I mean, it could very well go wrong and be awful. But DAMN it's adventure, it's open, there are many other options you'll realize while there. You can study half time and get a job and then get into a cheap sharehouse with cool students in art, even study whole time and do it (oh yes they all do that !).
    Whereas the fail in the other option is pretty accurate I guess... especially when one thinks about the opportunities for jobs or even side hobbies you could ddo while staying (you could not even get a band on the side of a shitty job, so let's call it hell).

    i laughed while hearing you say "la nouvelle star" hahaha. :D

    Oh yes you write ... a lot ... oh god.

    I didn't know about joanna newsome but i looked for her on youtube.. But first thing i thought is "harp ! cool !!!" and then "wow nice voice !!!" .. That's so weird, I'm definitely putting it in my list of "wicked interests". I don't know that many weird musicians, but i know quite a few great ones around melbourne (which i'm more or less friends with, depending). so if you live or even just go there, it might be of interest to you !
    other than melburnians, take a ear at the Ettes, at Matson Jones, Camille, Emilie simon, (those last two are known frenchies but i don't know how they're known in aussie), Bat for lashes (you'll love them), Denali, the gossip ..

    the list .. i had a quick look (it's getting late), and .. oh you have already Gossip, .. mh i'm not fond with everything but there are some i like too : soad, tenacious d, i used to be a fan of u2, i love the yeah yeah yeahs.. i see you know camille (i'm going to see her in concert at the end of the week .. yay !!!), coldplay, the strokes and franz ferdinand are cool, alanis morissette depends on the songs, used to love linkin park (now it's too linked to my angtsy depressed times), not too fond of avril lavigne or kelly clarkson (even thought i sometimes listens guiltily to one of two avril songs while telling myself it's much too commercial and sugary).. But well, that's pretty diverse !


    I'm excited : i took my ticket for amanda's show in october. Yay !
    Well, Amanda and the dresden dolls are so less known in france it's .. ridiculous. Paris is the only date in france ! dang..

    ok I'll continue with the others later . Now, priority is BED !
    cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hy Anika, I certainly do remember you from a certainMS A Palmers comment stings...and feel privilaged you remember me.

    Thank you for the omment and taking the time to read my blog.

    having read the first (or last...depending on how you lookat things chronologically...) of your blogs i must say that like you i can relate, but then i suppose thats why we end up reading these things. catch 22

    All i can say too you is that doing something independantly, and various other personal experiences which have become cliched are just that because cliches have a sneaky habit of being true, for better or for worse.

    go be a one woman empire, just not a one women island.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time has come and the ruine is drawn on the way
    dreams that fall and so the hearts they betray

    with an iron fist the fallen bowed and forcely ruled
    with void inside the world is splitted and bearly blurred

    I see that day in nightmares i know in faces we drew
    I wish I brake their falling raw I wish they know what's realy true

    ReplyDelete