Monday 10 November 2008

Holidays In Nowhere

I think I’m just doing this keep my mind from going numb.
There is nothing. Nothing nothing nothing; here, at all. There are two buttons here on my keyboard that don’t do anything, and I keep pressing them. It’s the story of my life.
I think I’d just about kill someone to have something exciting or different happen. The highlight of my day was finding out that we have NO toilet paper and are soon to have NO tissues. Oooh misfortune and intrigue. Whatever shall we do? Has my mother put that on the list to pick up after work? Is there even such a list? Gosh.
It’s just another excuse not to do practice exams.
Exams.
So far I have had two. I think I bungled the second section of the English one, although two-thirds correct is right on track for what I need. I didn’t care about that as much as I thought I would, even though I went around telling everyone how I expected to get over 40 (out of 50) on it. I think I nailed my English Language one, but ended up having awful dreams about whole sections left blank and answering questions with arithmetic. It almost made me laugh. I still have two to go. IT tomorrow, and I can see that going right where my teacher’s teaching prompted – down the toilet. I wanted to read over the whole fucking book before that exam. As if. I wanted to read my school assessed essay on The Catcher In The Rye before the English exam, but even that was too much for me. And it turned out the question that so stumped me on the exam was almost exactly identical to the one I answered in my essay; but of course I only realised this days afterwards. I got a practice essay done for English Language like I promised my teacher, three hours before the exam. I guess that was good karma at least. As you can see I have become sufficiently bored with my exams to feel fine about discussing them. Whatever good that does me.

The one thing that really pisses me off, believe it or not; is the fact that I can’t exercise. There is a heat outside like you have never experienced. It’s not the air temperature, not that oppressive humid type of heat, or the type that makes you want to go swimming – no, this is heat that only the ozone hole of
Australia can provide. It was once said that I might not enjoy the climate in England; I also once said that if I had my choice I would outlaw summer, and it looks like somebody got that wish in the UK. The heat over here is heat that hurts to look at through your window; what makes the grass dry and bleach, the cattle die and the cicadas raucous. The ground is a dead sort of light orange, like variations on straw; and the sky is an evil opposite bright blue, that seems just a tiny bit greenish near the horizon and a tiny bit indigo near the top. It’s still and bright, glaring like an over exposed over bright photo of itself. You have to squint to do anything, not even the dog wants to go out.
And inside it’s dull and cold and wearisome. The dog is lying upside-down on the carpet, the fish are hiding down the bottom of their bowl, my mother is at work and this morning I only got out of bed at 12.
I stay up way to late unable to go to sleep; no not sleep, sleep is something you do when you need rest – unable to lose consciousness in my bed. Apathy is the only emotion. And as if television wasn’t enough; I sit there at
one AM playing senseless computer games, not proper ones with a plot or anything; I ran out of those; no, little colourful internet arcade games. I have 282 of them and last night I discovered I had played every single one.
My mind is decaying and I can actually physically feel it happening.
I now unfortunately know exactly how my mother feels. For a while she was completely obsessed with all forms of quiz show. If it had questions, she would watch it. And she kept going on about having to keep her mind active, and all types of other hackneyed clichéd shit that I can’t remember and don’t want to hear again. But she wasn’t working or going out or anything, just sitting at home decaying as I am now. And in my present state I almost get that.
I just want to be tired. I just want to be done with this.
The worst thing is it’s not like it’s all going to go away and get better after exams. If anything I expect it to get worse. I’ll have a month before I get my results, and another month until I find out if I got in. We won’t be going to Melbourne a quarter as often as I would like; it will be tense, ugly and frustrating and my only escape from my awful, dreary home-life will be my equally dreary job.
And my mother doesn’t get it. Not at all. Not through hours of screaming at each other, because it’s always ‘after exams’ with her. The reason I don’t want to sell my school books yet, isn’t because I don’t want to get into Uni because I love my friends that much, I couldn’t care less; it’s because I am so sick of people counting MY chickens before they have hatched. She doesn’t see the great big powerless void I am facing, which doesn’t start and end with exams. If she wants to send me away to summer camp, fine; if she wants to put me on psychiatric medication, fine. She has work and projects and animals to care for. And I have nothing. Less than nothing, I have nothing and an uncertain future.






3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, I forgot my display name was still Amanda Palmer... I'm working on a story which involved me making a blog in her name.... it's complicated. Anyway, if you got a whiff of that, I apologize for raising your hopes, it was unintentional and not meant to be mean-spirited.

    So what I did I have to say about this blog again, as me: I'm the same way, where I get massively bored with my life, 1 month after it was new for me. I'll get claustrophobic and itchy at ordinariness.

    I do think that some of this has to do with how close we can look into lives that are far from "traditional" -- for example, Amanda Palmer, touring around the world, gaining the massive adoration of fans everywhere. But I bet if you asked her she too would say that she would love to just spend a month at home sometimes...

    I think it's about making your life exciting for yourself, whether it's taking a different road home, or looking forward to a movie or a concert... I try to get excited about everything, even when it's hard. My friend has a quote up: "If you believe life is wonderful, your belief will make it so."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, dear friend
    I think I'll have to go by the usual apologies... The most absurd thing is that i usually read / listen to it just a few days after you post it.. even listen to it quite a number of times... But in the subway, in the streets. And each time i was in front of a computer, it was because our the academy decided to make my and my uni mates a living hell.

    So i'll try to shorten from usual, because it's still a bit hellish down here (oh my), and because it's still a pan to read for you !
    I'll comment each post on its own comment section, so that i can do it gradually.. and you won't think it's sudden new visitors !

    I totally relate with your last entry, though by now, a month later, you are probably all done with exams, having your way through a very very boring summer. I'm ending my master's semester, and it seems all the teachers didn't find better to do than load us all with exams/papers/presentation, and to this you have to had the Great Oral (yeah i know, it COULD sound dirty when you read it..), which is kind of a myth here, some special kind of mental torture specific to my elitist school, where you basically have to go, pick a random question out of a hundred, the taste of "what are national monuments for ?" or other neuronal wanking, sweat an hour over it and then humiliate yourself in front of a jury made of some professors you probably had (and hated, mostly). Plus, I have to find an internship. For next semester. Sweet.
    And i couldn't care less. It's boring me like hell. I'm not doing half as i could do. Like i feel you write about your exam time. I'm way past beyond despair and angst. Well, so much for perfectly jumping through all the hoops, hey ?
    Why do you think you'll flunk IT ? you've been teaching the others, haven't you ? Or is it some euphemistic way of saying you won't do as good as expected ?

    Australian summer. Gah. You're right. If Australia wasn't surrounded by beaches and filled with air conditioned, most the population would die as soon as november comes. I remember going to Confest, a festival on the border of Victoria and New South Wales, for new year last year... it reached 56°C in the sun. Knowing that by 60-65°C most organisms and cells start dying, it makes you start thinking. I guess you don't live that far from this part of the bush, north Virginia, and i'm trying to remember the ride up there, with the flat yellow field and the dry smell of eucalyptus.I remember going bloody house hunting in a 40°C heat, when your toes burn themselves when they accidentally hit the pavement. It's a weather good for lying in a cold bath, or in a bed under a fan, not for sports, which leaves you... stranded when you're into sports (except if you're into swimming...).

    And passing out.. losing consciousness. I was going all "oh fuck yes" when i listened to you say that, because that's what happens here too. (hope you don't mind me always relating to my life -_-). I lie in bed, and either pass out immediately because i have whole nights of sleep missing, or have my mind just going circle on existential angst mode or just random, useless selftalk. Just waiting for the brain circle to stop and me to fall into a senseless coma, and be awaken much too early the next morning, feeling numb.
    And for my part, i play way too much Word Challenge on facebook.

    Mind decaying is my worst fear and demon. I fall into it so easily when i'm trying to escape something : homework, responsibility, life, my failure at being imaginative or productive in anything i like... That's the most awful thing, and it's so hard to get out of it. But surprisingly when you do you realize it's not permanent and your brain hasn't rotten on its feet yet... i hope you will find that

    The future : i loved reading this part, because it's so true, and it pained me, because it's so true. It's just the beginning and you don't even know if it is yet. I'm on the other part of the spectrum doing the same : soon to get into the job market and the big scary world of "take care of yourself", and i guess that's why i'm delaying the internship researches, because I'm not sure i want to go yet. I don't want to stay either. I don't know where I am going, and i feel unready, not responsible enough to be in charge with so much. I'm not sure that's how you feel. It sounds a bit different. You seem unsure to pass, but i thought you were quite a brain -in the good way-.
    And what now ? well, now with the whole bloody summer in front of you, you've got time you'll crave for during school year. Yes, there are not many places to go, not many friends left, just a bloody cooking sun, you and the house, but you've got imagination and time. I know that you've given up a bit on music, on singing, on even writing song (and i really need to comment 78 emotions on that to get a little slap in your face for that), but you can create stuff. music, drawings, writing. This book you've been talking about. You can innovate with your blog, inserting music, poetry, whatever you want. Create spooky sound atmosphere in it. I loved how you put music on this podcast. It made good writing into art. You can read, lots and lots. Become cultivated. Just don't let your mind rot.

    Did i say i was going to get shorter ? nevermind...
    Next comment will probably be on the first i missed, 78 emotions and all.

    ReplyDelete