Friday 12 December 2008

On Tour

Without the parallels being drawn yet; on a whim; I almost feel like I am on tour, as Amanda has described it.
In my sleep deprived state as it were, it all seemed to make sense. Here I was in the house of utter strangers and second-hand acquaintances; jumping in the pool at
4 AM in the clothes of a boy I hardly knew. I had spent the day eating junk food, listening to music and moving computer equipment. By the time my head lolled to the side unwillingly in the car that afternoon I had been awake for 28 hours straight. And I felt really ballsy to have not fallen asleep like most of the others. It seemed like a life befitting some sort of rock star or reckless individual.
And yet this was no party, no wild night by any means; and I think that somehow added to the paradox and the duality of the situation. I was reminded of a paragraph from Amanda’s blog as I thought this; it came back to me almost word for word:
“over the summer at the rock festivals, … the magazines were pumping the public with stories of the Rock and Roll Life while backstage was usually a bunch of cold and tired musicians standing in line for catering, trying not to offend one another.”
And I think that somehow summed up this event perfectly. On the surface, when viewed by an outsider under the right light, it could seem rowdy and fun; when thought of in the right way by a participant it could seem enjoyable and lively. But look just a little further and you see that it was no more than a mediocre and controlled mess.
Nothing works how it’s supposed to these days. Teenage girls are now the ones who proposition teenage boys for a bit of casual you know what; and chances are that the teenage boy will turn down the girl to go play sport, video games, get munted or hang out with his mates. And now it seems the girl has the right to get pissed off about it, and the boy think it ridiculous; but be sure that she will still be the one who continues to think about it while he loses himself in his own little world. I don’t know what the world thinks it’s playing at; but the role reversal offers nothing to the situation. I’ve been up for 28 hours, and I feel simultaneously ready to drop into sleep at any dull moment, but highly alert and open with big eyes.
And why is it all so imbedded on my brain? The party. Them. Talking nonsense at me. My name. A cry. A catch phrase. Is it the hours? The noise? The fatigue? And all the while British India sings lines from ‘You Will Die And I Will Take Over’ on repeat in my head: “I got my girl friend on the phone telling me she needs to speak to me, she needs to speak to me… another day is suddenly over!” And I feel sick. So is this what it’s all about? Living. Loving. Life and all the rest of it. Wasting money and going to shit parties. How easily we humans slip into that, that apathetic mindset of just going along with what everyone else is doing. What does it take to realise you have made a misjudgement and get yourself out of there? And it amazes me more still since I am the kicking and screaming kind of person. I still feel like I’ve been travelling too much. The unreality is bordering on the ridiculous. There is snow behind my black glasses. Little white drifts in the creases of my eyes, ready to dissolve into a flurry of perfect flakes at the cry of ‘Look alive soldier!’ and somewhere outside the bank Johnny Depp was whispering at me either some vague and complicated instructions, or meandering eloquent propositions…
And you nap for just 15 minutes and it’s gone. I liked dreaming whilst awake, in an exploratory yet tentative way. But what do I care with my salt water hair and Dettol knee. I would have rathered been at work. Almost.

It’s all fitting into place and all falling apart.




2 comments:

  1. Thx for your reply Anika , well it is been a long time that I had no access to my blog , I enjoy reading your Blog as well as I am really interested in your personality .
    Actually I dont remember how i found you but what really matter is that I already did ...
    And I hope to hear from you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this portrait of a party. I find it pretty revealing and accurate of a tale we like to tell ourselves... I guess that's on of the reasons why i often don't like parties : everyone somehow feels forced into a part of pretended wildness and happiness without any sense or genuine improvisation. It's as if they were shouting and gesticulating because otherwise, in the silence and stillness, they would realize that they're bored, that they don't want to know each other or chat, and are only there for the show they can offer or watch, either, being cautious, watching the wild and bitching about everyone, or trying to look like the coolest and wildest person.
    That's quite sad. a "mediocre and controlled mess" indeed !

    Role reversal is weird, and pretty new. Not that much the case here, i guess because of the age category i'm in and the culture, and the influence of the very macho and "hunting" behaviour of some immigrant kids. Do you think Wow will provoke massive infertility in our generation ?
    Those kind of parties are a mirage of something we think we'd have to do to live the life and pretend we're free and wild like in the 70s, but it's a massive lie, and the sooner you get it, the better for you, because you can actually start looking out for "real" parties, nice hangouts, people actually worth it and time well spent. Then you realize having the "typical youth" you're expected to have isn't worth much and mostly lead you to a life of apathy. So be proud, cause you have the boringdar and it can't have you avoiding useless social conventions that don't need you and that you don't need :P .
    And i loved the daydreaming part. I get that sometimes. It's pretty weird. And frustrating when it goes away and you don't remember what it was except the vague feelign it was weird and interesting.


    And no need to apologize. Heat indeed, I've heard of it, and then, well, i've barely commented on your last entries, so if you post now, i'll be doomed with 10 comments late ! gah !

    ReplyDelete