Monday 26 January 2009

Chronic

I spent all the time between Reply Paid and this constructing and agonising over an inordinately and magnificently complicated post. Five pages long, it was. Reaching from light-hearted observations to soul wrenching turmoil, and an array of unfathomable and unworkable emotions in between. Two weeks of sleepless nights and abandoning myself to the page and the computer alike. Screaming matches were held in honour of this post, tears were shed. And much mental anguish was had; I feared I even lost a speck of my sanity trying to deal with the themes of this latest instalment… this awful horrible impassive soul searching screaming indecision deadline evil. I avoided this post, I loathed it; and in the end, it was so thoroughly difficult and convoluted, that I didn’t feel like it at all. I didn’t feel it like I used to, in fact it seemed the moment I wrote my emotions down, they would change, and I was never able to read it back as it had been meant. I didn’t feel like writing it anymore, I only seemed to be adding to this hideous and insurmountable mound of my own shit that I would only have to sort through, and above all, make sense of, later. I was consumed by the idea that if I sorted it on the blog, I would sort it in my real life. But most of all, I didn’t feel like dealing with it anymore.
And so I let it be. I let it escape out the back of my mind and not trouble anyone again. Posterity be damned.
And it was the best thing I ever did.
All the time I would have spent simply avoiding and resenting it; I instead spent absorbing, indulging, living… a far more profound and useful pursuit than agonising over outdated events.
I somehow ended up turning my attention to fleshing out my internet profiles. I started thinking about my hobbies and what I like doing, what I like talking about, things that would be a good conversation topic if you wanted to pick me up at a party, say… And things like all of the great movies I have seen. I love films, and I my mother and I watch the evening movie every night on free to air television. I have seen so many I can hardly remember one that has stuck with me. So I sat down and I tried to remember these films. I paid greater attention to the ones I had seen lately, particularly the ‘American Indie Films Season’ SBS has been having lately. And it all began to come back to me, I remembered films by actors and themes; and there was some sort of joy about being able to get a hold on all the rich culture and things you had seen in your life.
I relished in my obsession with television and fondly recounted things that I watched last night, like a brand new episode of Doctor Who! As well as things long forgotten like Farscape and Moonlight. And I’m happy to note, though it’s quite an effort to find them these days, that I like more British shows than I do American ones, and there’s a few home grown ones in there for good measure too.
I thought about all the books I had read. So very many books. I love reading; and in my unpleasant and excluded years of primary school the little grey bookshelf with the big kids’ books on it was one of my great comforts. I expect that I read, or at least purposely decided not to read, every single one of the books on that shelf. I remember in equal measure the worlds of those books and the world of primary school. I had forgotten so many of them, and a great deal of what one must call my ‘childhood’ with them. The Ramona Series by Beverly Cleary, and also the Ralph Series were like a warm blanket that I could curl up with on the fourth grade bean bag and escape into. They kept my love of literature alive. Books like Helen Keller’s Teacher by Margaret Davidson and I Was A 98 Pound Duckling by Jean Van Leeuwen changed my whole perspective. Helen Keller’s Teacher was just earth shatteringly real and so grippingly unfathomable to me. And with I Was A 98 Pound Duckling I felt like I had discovered something that I wasn’t supposed to know about yet, but it really spoke to me. It gave me validation and a new outlook on things that I had only just come to experience, and it helped form my perception of things that I was yet to experience. It was the defining book for the start of adolescence and puberty for me.
Then there were the books that I had read more recently, such as the Nightrunner Series by Lynne Flewelling, or The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Series by Douglas Adams – which I am still reading the last of. Classics like Dracula, 1984 and Brave New World that I loved. And even the
Harry Potter Series; the movies, I was not so impressed with; and that’s why despite the hype, I have sworn never to go and see the Twilight movie based on the Twilight series of books by Stephenie Meyer – which I loved so much.
So I had my books and movies, and music which we’ll get to; all pretty standard fields on profiles. But upon registering with Facebook I had noted that they asked for favourite quotes. What a fabulously uncommon and intellectual thing to ask about. So I hunted down some of them. Namely some I copied down ages ago from the school library’s copy of The Penguin Book of Humorous Quotations (or something like that); and some of Dean’s great collection from his blog, some from a page on Gerard Way I got from somewhere, some from recent books and movies, and one I discovered thanks to Musings – which has me looking sufficiently philosophical.
Then I revisited my list of bands that I like… what a list that is. A complete index of every band whose songs or lyrics I have heard and loved. I added anything new, and then set about the tricky and tedious task of narrowing it down to my absolute favourites. From a list of 268 I ended up with 88, which I though was pretty good.
But despite my love of music, it’s not a list I have a chance of actually remembering in real life. On occasion, I will attend a party, and on occasion someone I don’t know yet will talk to me. And, whether the person who introduced us has told them that I’m interested in music, or I have told them myself; they tend to ask me exactly what sort of music I am into, and what bands I like. I don’t view myself as only liking one genre of music, nor do I have any great knowledge of what said genre might include – so it’s not a simple question to answer. I consider myself as liking a great variety of bands and music, but when it comes down to it I can never remember enough bands for it to seem like I do; which leaves me standing there like a blithering idiot who seems either stupid or deceptive. So I’ve thought, you know what? After all that effort I think I might carry the list with me. It seems like postmodernist internet consumer culture gone mad (and to a degree it is) but isn’t that what we’ve become? I don’t suggest taking all the fun out of it, for if it becomes just like browsing a MySpace profile, wouldn’t it be a lot simpler to do just that? But at least this way I’ll be able to give the person a more comprehensive answer (probably more than they expected, but what the hell).
Making these lists has been quite a task in itself, but the greatest thing that I have learnt through all the mental strain of trying to remember all the movies I ever saw; was that only what was worth remembering is worth remembering. I know that sounds strange, but consider your dreams. When you wake up in the morning, only the parts of your dream that you can remember – exist. There’s nothing else to go on, and you just have to trust yourself that you remembered the best bits.
And that was the thought that I had on my mind, together with a quote from So Long and Thanks For All The Fish (“There was a point to this story but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler’s mind.”) when I looked back at that harrowing post tonight. But just briefly, fleetingly; so as not to get sucked into the pit of desolation that it is.
And then I deleted it.
All those wasted words… I had even forgotten what it was about. So many things I know, but… somehow I missed the point. To tell you the truth, I actually just felt like chucking it. But somehow, I had been allowed to see what the story really amounted to; and it amounted to this:

I got scammed out of $380 for a phone from eBay that never arrived.
It suitably ruined my Christmas.
We did all that we could but there was nothing to do.
My losses have been taken up by my mother, ungenerously. And I’m in two minds about that.

We finally settled on accommodation.
I shall have a neat lined timber shed with veranda built in my grandmother’s backyard.
Everyone is happy.
We found a company that we like and that does all that we want.
We will call them on Thursday.

I am going to university.
My acceptance notice came through at about 1o past 9 Monday night, the 19th.
My end of year score didn’t make a lick of difference, and I received my first preference in the first round for Creative Arts at La Trobe.
I have decided that through all the confusion and indecision with deferrals, money, admission and construction (and believe me, there has been that) – that I will stay the course, and start now.
Enrolment is on Wednesday.

I have a bad hair cut.
A few days back I got sick of waiting for the bitch to grow out and my mother to drive me to a hairdressers or get in the right mood to do it herself; and I took to myself with a razor cutter, (my hair that is, not my wrists).
The mistake was not in the execution, but the intent; and despite all my airs it seems I haven’t the faintest about what actually suits me. Or at least I didn’t at that moment.
My mother was then forced to rectify the situation and I now have something that is; at the same time, not uncommon, strange, or unpleasant – but unmistakably bad in an indefinite way.
Though I can indeed create magic with my curling wand, and with my strange predisposition to like hair cuts I have to fuss with anyway; this suits me fine.

I am happy.
It’s all going to be OK, and I haven’t felt that with such conviction and gratitude in such a long time. Nor has it ever been more important for me to feel that, now, of all times, on the dawn of yet another rebirth in my imperfect existence. I woke up the next morning not knowing what I had done to deserve to feel so unexpectedly and pleasantly happy. So I guess through all of this, in a way I discovered myself; in a more literal sense than is usually necessary for the metaphorical sense. And I did so without even realising that’s what I had been doing. But that’s not even the important part! It’s about not dwelling on all that daft uncertain shit between the facts; otherwise you’ll smack yourself something stupid against the kitchen doorframe in the dark like I just did…



6 comments:

  1. Hello Anika
    I've been a bit worried those last few days, hearing about the fires in Victoria. I hope neither you or your family has been affected in this tragedy. I guess you're probably in Melbourne now, classes starting soon, but as you more than once suggested you lived in the country, I can't help but wonder and fear. Hope you're well.

    About this post : you've made me curious of this post that will never see the day. A shame it slipped totally out of your hands. I don't remember where i heard this, but an advice i have been told and have to remind myself all the time is : "you cannot create anything good out of an idea you love too much". Or was it phrased differently i don't know, but that's the basic idea : your idea can be perfect, your result will practically never be, and if you're too in love with your idea in the first place, you can never arrange it around so that it actually fits the medium or context you're working into, and it results in something not only bad but all the more disappointing that you expected a great deal out of it. Thus ensue rage, anger, frustration and "why oh god why ?".

    But another caveat, as i'm in a patronizing mood today : creating oneself can be a fun and relaxing activity, but it's not to become a full time career activity, else you transform into Paris Hilton or some other self engrossed useless persons. Don't forget to create out of yourself too, to make things that are actually separate from the act of other persons liking or admiring you, because if this can be pretty nice combined to actual creation (see amanda), it's a pretty shallow and unsubstantial thing in the end.
    And well, personnally i never fill in those portait things on facebook because i don't want strangers to know about me without asking me personnally, and also because i want to be an indefinite blob without any artificially constructed "favourites". seriously :P. But I get that the sense of listing everything you've ever loved can be a nice feeling not to feel all these little experiences slip under your fingers. I'm always frustrated when i forget about great things. But I'm not sure people wouldn't judge you as a sell absorbed annoying person if you actually carried around a list of everything you loved and read it aloud for a whole 10 minutes.
    And now you're on facebook i wonder if you've ever checked my name out and debated aabout whether you should click on "invite as friend" or not.

    Congrats on uni. It feels weird, as i've been on LaTrobe campus before (check out the surf club, they're pretty fun, and i had a friend be part of it for a while). I can actually imagine you there (except for the part of knowing what you look like, which i always unconsciously imagine as the 4 characters collage you made - yeah i know, weird).
    Not sure about the shed in the garden thought You'll still have to put up with your grandma's surveillance, and a whole shed means you won't be able to take the hell off soon if you find nicer arrangements.. but well, i'm sure it's the best option you had in hand.

    Isn't there a way of calling the scam out on ebay ? that's a real shame. Fuck them..

    Bad haircut : wow, uncharted territories, be wary ! I often cut my hair, but they're long so it's just about trying to get some nice shorter streaks near the face and some volume in the whole.. Once i did it very well but another ... not that so. But it's still overall long hair and none care.. but with short hair ? gah !

    I'm happy you're happy. I've felt this feeling along some of those days, just enjoying what's there when it's there, and it feels nice. Hope you keep it up.

    Are you going to see Amanda when she comes to Australia ? I saw she's not coming to Melbourne and i was somehow pissed for you.
    I've been to another of her Paris show about a week ago and it was fabulous. She was a strange mix of extra quirky and emotional on stage. We had funny "speaking" times, with some ask amanda time, and katy pery impersonation, and some comments in between songs, but also her new break up song (Traut heart replica), which is haunting, and "ne me quitte pas" from Jacques Brel. One could feel how recent her break up was and it was really heartbreaking. A parisian friend played the musical saw with her on stage, and at the end of the night i had a drink with the Danger Ensemble, her, the violonist, and it was fun. I didn't see much of her, but I got to hug her, at the very end of the autographs line, and she looked a bit teary afterwards. It felt strange. I felt strange. Last time i went i was backstage but she was long gone for coffee and then on internet, so i didn't get much chance to speak with her, and somehow now it feel there will always be a barrier, and i'm accepting it. There was one thing i wanted to say I thought about later, maybe next time : "You know, you're the type of person I'd love to chat with over tea, discuss anything and everything, but I know I have to share you and your time with all of the persons who love you too, and that's fine. Knowing you exist and do what you do makes me happy."

    Tell me about uni when you start. What kind of creative art are you going to do ? I thought you were going in Lit and / or Drama.

    many hugs and love

    Amelie

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey ! I don't know if you've seen but Amanda Palmer IS going to Melbourne pretty soon .. Really .. If you can, try to get a ticket, you won't regret it.. and if it's too expensive you can try and do the food for ticket deal..
    Really, you'll love it O_O

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've hit a sore spot there. Don't bloody get me started...

    Ohhhh I have known that Amanda was coming to Melbourne to do gigs since late last year... I knew before the mass email came out and people on the Box started talking... I then found out that every single gig, because of the Corner Hotel serving alcohol and the fact there will be alcohol at the slumber party too - ARE OVER 18S ONLY. I am just three maddeningly unfortunate months too young. And being ever resourceful I checked to see if it was OK as long as you brought a legal adult guardian - and it's not. You can't get away with simply looking 18 either, since they check everyone's ID at the entrance and give you a wristband. I do not have the time nor the contacts to acquire a fake ID either.
    In short I am screwed. And I won't get to see Amanda for at least another year. Slightly less bad than that perhaps (but still awful); is the fact that I am starting university at 17. This means I can't go to any of the 'O Week' (orientation week) celebrations and gigs, which have yet more fabulous bands and activities (for people of legal drinking age only). And also that I can't get into any of the places all my new friends at university will hang out at, such as bars, clubs, pubs, and nightspots.
    I am a leper until May. I hate it ALL so much I have the mind to pretend that I never turned 18; I feel I will never have enough time to express my angst about the system and the people who perpetuate it and have the sheer stupidity and audacity to think I'm fucking 15! (Or worse 12, believe me; this happened last year, right about now I could rip that lady's throat out).
    And don't you tell me how great it is that I look younger than my age; and how I'll be grateful for it when I'm thirty... I've never been youth obsessed or insecure in that way and I never fucking will be. People my age still think I'm a good three years too young to be sexually attracted to, how do you think that feels to my ego? I have at least another 8 to 10 years of not being taken seriously and having to pull out my ID at every single liquor purchase or club entry - and even then they'll think it's fake.

    So fuck Amanda, fuck the Corner Hotel, fuck those 'legal adults' their precious alcohol - fuck the ageist bastards, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, sore indeed. I'm sorry, at the time when I posted that, i think the corner hotel date was not even up... and when i saw it, I had the thought "oh god, hope the 18+ won't get in the way).. and did. That's plain stupid, and the only thing i can encourage you to do is write an email begging for a small out-the-door event (she apparently did one in Dublin where it was also 18+, played music in the street and cut people's hair). :( But hey ... Forget all i said, it's just a concert anyway, and they'll be back somehow, and i'll give you names of great melbourne bands that will give you a chill too.
    And about O week... Really, except you like being around totally drunk jerks doing stupid, dangerous and degrading challenges around the campus, you're not missing much... and there 'll probably be outdoor concerts

    much love

    ReplyDelete
  5. AND
    I just thought about that.
    The Danger Ensemble is basing itself in Melbourne, for now, so if you stay up to date with them (they're on facebook), you might get to see what they do/ meet them / have a cooool time.

    just saying :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, no worries, and see you twittering !

    ReplyDelete