Tuesday 1 January 2008

Preface: The Year Of The Blog?

I have been planning on doing this for a while, a year to be exact. What was that I heard last night? There are only a few more minutes left of this year to complete you new years resolution from last year before you have to make a new one? Ah yes, how true. See last year I was trying to do the same thing, to keep a regular profound entertaining worthy blog. And it never happened. I mean it half did, I kept my resolve for a matter of months (much more than I can say for any of my other resolutions, which tended to be kind of vague as a result) but it quickly fell apart. And even though it never made it to the internet, it sounded like it had leeched up all the spite from the whole place. A real bitch-fest, the only half decent things about it, which may make it to press yet, were a series of good dreams and two, two, posts where I actually thought.

I have heard others discuss the impossibilities of blogging. The chronic chronicling; the line between too personal and fiction, detachment and lies; the danger mingled with regret; the thing about MySpace pages living on after you; fame from blogging; blackmail; anonymity or the lack of it… and I think I have come up with a few rules for myself that I will try very hard to stick to:

  • Write it like your mother could read it (no matter how computer illiterate she is)
  • Write it like the subjects of the writing could read it (i.e. no derogatory shit)
  • THINK don’t VENT
  • Write it like your worst enemy could read it (and either not be able to or feel compelled not to use it against you)
  • Write it only when you feel like it, and make a point to feel like it often
  • Do not try to explain everything, you will be fighting a losing battle. Everything will come in good time.

Yes. Indeed. Everything will come in good time. And with that I shall sign off and begin another chapter of this no doubt epic... thing.

Peace.

Anika

No comments:

Post a Comment