Wednesday 9 April 2008

And Now For The Commentary

Mr. ‘I’m Emo And I Straighten My Hair Every Day So Much It Looks Painful’, would never pay attention to me. He’s always got his head down and his fringe out so much it must give him a crick neck. He’s cute though. Those semi-muscular legs with sparse hair say that he doesn’t have a hairy chest and from what I’ve seen of his face, ever, he needn’t shave. He has a lip ring. The first mark of individuality after primary school. Though he didn’t need it to attract anymore attention to those gorgeous lips, they stayed that pout-y ‘little-boy-with-a-basin-cut-pink’ all the way through his life. And not that I’ve seen his eyes since then, but he had these eye lashes that and girl would feel weak at the knees for. I remember those eyes. Look at me, Mr. Emo, I could deal with the clichés of a high school romance even if you couldn’t. It could be our misery and our joy. It’s a perfect paradox for poetry, don’t you know…?

He thinks he has a talent for the invisible. But I knew him, I remember him from primary school, I remember the things that he did as much I remember what someone I wasn’t friends with did. But I never thought like ‘that’ about him, even though I had the capacity. I was too busy chasing his friend, as was he, but not for the same purposes. Maybe it makes us more alike than we think. He has friends on the bus though. They were the only ones who were civil to me, to a point. Doting friends, like girls and gay guys. Or tom boys and guys. But then there were the Emo girls he brought home. He likes girls who look like a social stereotype, who fit somehow. As he does. He’s so Emo he’s above all that. No-one has ever talked to him to cause him for being as such, his black hair and his pose. He is invisible. But I’m just scary enough to be poked and teased. What does he need me for? How do you even start a conversation about a decade ago? We don’t even have Emo in common. He is very Emo and yet manages to avoid the abuse and bad connotations, but I am only Emo by association and yet I get all the abuse. It could never work.

But he is cute. Cuter than Mr. Blonde Pretty Boy Catholic School who crammed himself so far up the wall when I sat down that he feel asleep on his iPod. It’s just crazy, and also very funny.

You know, I’m shallow for him. He is the thing to bring out all my shallow qualities, in a ‘matter of a fact’ way, not an ‘I hate myself for it’ way. I like the way he looks, I really do. It’s just he’s so close to the idea of the perfect ache for their beauty Dylan Moran/Nick Zinner/Billie Joe Armstrong/David Tennant gothic musician thing that even if he was a complete arsehole I would still admire his looks. It’s all about the aesthetic; I would look and feel great with someone like that. It feels genetically pre-programmed. With all my confidence and front, practicality and resolve – he is the type of guy that can put me back in to that high school locker stalking crush mindset. It’s like Connor Oberest and Amanda. I could never ‘be with’ him. I know him, but then I don’t know what he is really like.

I don’t picture long excellent inspiring conversations, romantic gestures, a relationship or heaps of fun with him. I merely see myself sitting next to him on the bus, brushing his floppy fringe out of the way and lightly and nervously touching those magnificent high cheek bones before kissing him slowly and passionately on the mouth, for a long time, with meaning and fire and absolutely no words. While not a soul looked our way and I could be invisible and accepted for a few seconds. And I would stay, just for the trip, be close to him, hold hands; give us both the human contact that we crave. If he would consent to that, I would be satiated and never speak of it again.

But teenagers just don’t do that. I’m not even sure they think of it in terms like that. I find it strange that random things like that take a certain amount of maturity (whilst one is sober that is) to execute without anyone screaming rape. But things like that only happen in movies and very rarely in only the exactly right type of peoples’ lives. You have to know that it is consensual. And it takes ages to learn to read the signs of attraction and to know what ones you are displaying. Teenagers, myself included most of the time, have to ask. And that ruins the romantic spontaneity of the whole thing. I know a guy who said that the whole sudden but gentle random kiss thing was about the hottest thing he could think of. And although he admitted that he would be fine with any averagely attractive girl doing it, he’d never do it to anyone. I bet there are more people like that. This is what I was saying about my feelings for Mr. Crushing, people waste too much time thinking about what they would like people to be doing for them, and not enough time doing that for someone.

Ah, but it’s not as noble as it seems, not in this situation. It’s a good hypothesis, but what would I be doing? I’d use him for my wanton desires and seek nothing more. Even if he doesn’t like me that’s cold. What if he did want more, by the way everyone avoids me I don’t think he’d have the guts to ask what the hell was going on. I’d most probably feel terribly guilty regardless. But if you want to get down to it there are many reasons why this can’t happen.

One: the only place I see him is on the bus.
Two: nothing can happen there because of the reactions of the immature occupants.
Three: he’d never look up even if I did sit next to him.
Four: I can’t sit next to him because when I get on he always puts his legs across the seat to prevent me from doing so.
Five: ergo, he does not like me.
Six: ergo, he would fight me off and scream rape if I tried to kiss him.
And seven: I wouldn’t have the guts to try anyway.

Sometimes I like to scold myself about Mr. Crushing; that if he looked like Mr. Emo, I would have done something long ago, and none of this would have been awkward. But people with minds a certain way don’t look that way – ever. I am obviously not a type. Not anyone’s type. No-one aches for my beauty or thinks of using me for any random acts of passion, no matter how selfish. But that wasn’t the point of the exercise. I’m not even after that. I’m mush more amused by my own thoughts on the matter and the blog. I’m just existing, observing, waiting, and hopefully making sense of it all.

Anika

2 comments:

  1. Haven't been here in a while. A lot is going on in your life, it seems.

    The flash drive thing really pisses me off. I have such a faith in the overall of humanity that to see such an abuse of that... it's mindblowing. You sound like you're resilient and have good perspective on the whole thing, though.

    Mr. Emo and Mr. Crushing... well, you'll figure it out or it'll figure itself out. Don't be afraid to go for what makes you happy. Some of the greatest joys in life also come with the greatest risks...

    I wrote this somewhere else, but I think you will appreciate it as well:
    ----
    I think what I've gained through these conversations and through others going on in my life right now is that we all have something that we find is missing. We all have wounds and losses, and this slight tinge of confusion as to why we are here, and how to be a whole person, and how to make our peace with the place we are at in our lives.

    The whose-experience-is-more-valid game never worked that well for me, because each experience is different and that's what makes it beautiful. And tragic at the same time, because we can never truly understand what it means to be someone other than ourselves. We can align ourselves in communities and groups based on what is common, but the entirety of someone else's experience can never be ours, and vice versa. It makes the world an utterly lonely place, sometimes.

    That's why I think it's important to share what goes on my head, because although life can be lonely, the attempt to make you understand what it is to be me, and for me to understand what it is to be you -- that can make the world seem less lonely.
    _________________

    Hey, great to see you joining in on the fun at SB. It's always nice to see one of my threads gain momentum and inspire the weird twisted sort of creativity that reflects my own...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn me, I've missed quite a lot recently. Too much to study and exams to go through, but now i'm back reading it all, and phew, I'm still in pjs in front of my computer at 4 in the afternoon...

    I love the tone of this Mr Emo note. I'm not sure i get the whole Mr crushing story (maybe I missed too many episodes), but I love the boldness of it all. That's amazing how many crazy things you can do in highschool. They stay with you for a long time, sometimes until graduation, sometimes a few hours, depending on the amount of interesting gossip running by (an idea : prepare a cataclismic gossip/reavon for gossip on soemthing/someone else to be launched just after putting your plans to execution, muahaha), but once graduated... none ever knows. I guess that's what being a teenager is all about. You HAVE to be ridicule. Just not the most ridicule.
    aaaaanyway
    sounds like what you said about the hard drive story anyway. Awful job. That's an awful violation, i don't know how i'd feel if people could go through my private thoughts and art.. ew. One day our house was robbed, and i found my school bag totally scattered on the floor (they stole my calculator...) and even with that i felt violated, them seeing my id picture on the classbook or private notes to myself... so with a usb drive.. Damn, I'll wear it around my neck with a security chain.

    Interesting also about the emo girl. Though i guess some references might have escaped me. school uniform and all. she tries to communicate so much through her clothes but you stay strangers and mute.. how modern.

    You're lucky being able to change shift easily !! I tend to go on a 11PM-2AM mode on holidays and have terrible trouble changing back to more normal hours..

    I like what you say about the noise. Terrifying indeed how much chatter it is ... I lost the habit of it, so when i come by my old highschool my ears get crazy.. I hate how english speaking ids say "like" all the time. I want to rip their tongues off... And the smell, oh yes smells are what makes a place in memory.. Keep those observations preciously in your mind ^^.

    about being scared of changes in life, somehow your mother is right and you are too. Change is not always bad and even though what you end up studying is not exactly the right thing you never know who you will meet, what you will learn and so on. It's still better than a stand still, so it's better to risk it off the present situation. But fear can be ... totally reasonnable and motivated by real things. Being afraid of change can be .. quite reasonnable sometimes. And what you say about stalling is totally right, and it's only gonna get worse, though reality is always not as bad and definitive and limited as you imagine at first. But just staying tehre is not gonna make it better. But then reading forward, you look like you know what you're doing. Ok i shut up.
    And music schools : one of my friends got into a music course though she had no theoric knowledge of music at all and failed all the exams entry, but some unis apparently were more on actual creativity and motivation than prior knowledge, so it's worth checing out. It was a uni in Melbourne,i don't remember which one though.. Otherwise would it be possible to do a ind of prep school /course for a year (sabbatical or official) to get into it the year after ? if it's really the course you want to do then don't hesitate and go for it and do everything to get it, and don't condemn you to something you're only mildly interested in instead. Go for it girl !!

    Funny what you say about what kind of band you'd lie to be in... A very minor role, you don't want to be at the center of the stage do you ? ... I guess that if you ever try to brea this musical taboo (i read the other entry about it and frankly while you obviously weren't an incredible music genius who mastered an instrument in a month, you didn't seem too atrocious either), maybe you'd like the bass... Depending on the type of music, you can have very little to play (just lines of notes dong dong dong dong ding ding ding ding doom doom doom doom bom bom bom bom) none hears you or look at you very much and you generally have to do vocal backings too. And that's very sexy too... really you should consider :D ....
    oh and if you go by melb one of those days, i have a list of good small bands around there, could be inspiring. Just tell me and i can link you to a dozen of myspace pages ^^..

    about the poem/song. First thought was i wish i could hear it, becauve enunciation and melody is so much of a song that it mught not give justice to it to read it. But no i'm not gonna push you. Recording are often too awful and hurtful too hear for yourself and even more to share.
    It's delicate and intricate. I like it. It gives a senve of the whole relationship without going bluntly over it. Would be hard to sing in public though, as it's still very open about details of the relationship, but it's beautiful, keep it up. ^^

    that's it for today. Good luck with your misters and your emos and the noive and the smell and the big scary jump ahead that none, none is adequately prepared for (blame orientation consellors). and keep up creating, so that i can be my old prat again ^^. cheers

    ReplyDelete