Wednesday 16 April 2008

Big City Life

(read to the tune of that song which goes “big city life, try to get by... now Babylon they pon me case” or something like that. Right now I’m only blogging to keep my mind off my tired awful feet and my heavy heavy bag and the fact that I have a test straight after I get back to school. There was a teacher strike, effectively meaning I get to school and there’s 5 hours before I have a class. So I went to my friend’s place. Hung out, went shopping, came back, now I go back to school. Today I walked an estimated 8.6 km. On concrete, in the middle of the day. I certainly didn’t just do it to see my friends and pick up some muesli bars and CD sleeves. I did it cos I could. Cos it was a little stupid, cos I never did it before. I did it to live city life for one day, to pretend that I lived at their place. Without parents, without peers, without that cushion of isolation, and I managed.

Just when you stop thinking about the ideas your parent put in your head about rapists you start worrying about the time, or cars, or being run down by trains... But I like it here. I really do. The city is always alive somehow. Even though people stay indoors all the time, it’s buzzing. Especially at night. Not in the country. In the daytime it’s peaceful, by night it’s dead.

People can have such awful views about the city. They think the country is the place to go, the place that is beautiful and peaceful and the place where people go to retire. Sure, it’s nice, it certainly is quiet but I can’t stay there. I am drawn to the city like a typical teenage moth. There is this energy there which inspires me. I took a few photos today on my travels which may or may not illustrate my point.




Anika

No comments:

Post a Comment