Monday 28 July 2008

On Comments

Gah! It has been too long since I blogged! And now the PODCASTS HAVE FINALLY ARRIVED!

I apologise awfully, but my phone line has gone to the absolute fucking shithouse (a more apt description would not be possible). I am getting, at the worst of it, about 7KB a second; and at best about 20. To put that in perspective, my dial-up usually runs at 44Kbps, which is average page viewing kind of speed; a good Broadband connection gets 512Kbps. On my 7K connection it takes about 3 minutes to load about 6 frigging hyperlinked words. It’s killing me, but I shall persevere.

Just a quick note here; I was almost thinking of making a sticky post here for this sort of thing, but I usually integrate them quite well. But I just wanted to say that I am floored and flattered that there are four people who have read/are reading my blog.

Thank you timeandalittleblackcloud for coming and visiting; I was at a bit of a loss for contacting you since you went off the air on Blogger last year. Are you blogging once more? Or is there some other place where I may contact you or enjoy your musings? It was just unfortunate that you happened upon such a short trivial blog as my latest instalment (as opposed to post, I tend to blog in chunks) and that I haven’t blogged for such a time. I do hope that you return sometime soon.

Raef, it was an unexpected surprise finding a notification of comment email from yourself. I had a read over your profile and a quick browse over your blog. You seem to have had a very interesting life. I shall take a longer look when I have alternate internet access. I do wonder how you came upon my blog to begin with. Was it our common interest in the movie The Sphere? I have also recently discovered what all those tiresome comma separated hyperlinks in my profile page are for, quite entertaining to know how many people put the same interest in the same box. Or are you a Dresden Dolls fan perhaps? Did you recover some phrase of mine through a search engine? At any rate I am interested to know and would like to hear back from you.
I am also intrigued by the poem you left as a comment. Did you compose it yourself? I almost feel like I have heard it before, reminds me of something Old English. I like it.
I hope to hear from you again.

And last but not least, Idril. Fireworks on Bastille Day, how terribly exciting. Once again the unlikely parallel of our worlds through the podcast. Maybe my hard earned song is still art, and lord knows I did grow to like it after I took it out into a city and lived it. It’s just never been like that for me, I know I had it easy for a long time; and I’m definitely not going to give up because it got harder. Maybe the effort that I put into it, as long as it wasn’t forced and angry (which it wasn’t) makes it more art rather than less. It’s good to look at it that way anyway.
You did indeed see my knees; there is also a bit of my hand and hair in the shot. It’s the most of me that has ever been posted on the net.
The great open ended adventure of life is not of much comfort to me of late; but things have been moving along at a satisfactory pace.
Speaking of writing A LOT (is it really that staggering?) I recently stumbled upon Neil Gaiman’s extensive blog since I recognised the name when searching for the terms “fan fiction” and “Amanda Palmer”. I’m not exactly sure who he is, but he is a famous author of sorts and he wrote the blurb for Who Killed Amanda Palmer. He keeps a great blog. I love his tags. If I had the time I would do tags like that. Then I’d be witty and searchable.
Harp is awesome. I have always always wanted to play a harp. But you don’t exactly find them lying around…
Be well friend, and get some sleep.


Much love to you all.


3 comments:

  1. Gasp, no podcasts this time ! Well i guess I'll have to keep reading.. Anyway I hadn't finished commenting on the old posts yet and now a fresh bash.. so, as my usual, let's be methodic : totally random

    On comments's comment : Glad you like your hardly won song. It reminds me of something i saw on Craig Thompson's blog (if you hadn't, go read his wonderful graphic novel Blankets.. right now !!!) “Painting is like mowing the lawn.” Slow, tedious work.
    And if you like good quotes on art, i direct you to 3 pictures of his notebooks when preparing Blankets, it's quite thoughtful http://blog.dootdootgarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/blanketsnotes01.jpg
    http://blog.dootdootgarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/blanketsnotes02.jpg
    http://blog.dootdootgarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/blanketsnotes03.jpg

    And yup, harp would definitely be a cool instrument for you. Damn. I can imagine. You with the harp, playing some random notes, declaiming texts, with a beret and a monocle, and ending up dressing down and revealing a tutu. Wouldn't that be rad ?

    With nothing to do with that, I saw Camille in concert last sunday (along with The Do and Fink, which are both extraordinary , you should check it up). It was A-ma-zing. Awesome. so much creativity and playfulness. she was a little monkey on the stage, improvising, laughing at herself, and with all the noise singers that made up for most of the music on her last album. Real cool. she even made the public bark and mew, and finally put on a snorkelling suit and jumped in the public, after sporting a black satin dress with a hole revealing half her ass.
    What a woman !

    Ghosts :
    I laughed at the argument between you and Mr Crushing.. Ah those ignorant people who can't tell the difference between quantitative and qualitative. It's like arguing over what you'd like most if you were hungry between a super sized cheap hamburger and a small lobster in its sauce (mhhhhhh).. I'd rather be still hungry in the end than full and sickened.
    it would be relatively anarchist i guess.. Meaning you don't disregard all authority as a principle, so it's not systematic anarchism, but you're ready to dismiss it as arbitrary if you feel you're more in your right to establish the rules for yourself.
    And by the way, i'm always manic at all the protections of high school today.. As if it was going to stop anything ... I think Uni will be a cultural shock, being a place where being on time or being there at all is only up to you and how much you hope to succeed at the end of the year ... Bless them.
    The tale of the girls trying to run away really makes it all, the school, the town, the parents, sound like a prison.. Awful
    I know the thing of feeling guilty for hurt you didn't see you caused in the first place. It's quite awful to know to be the origin of such harm, while just being oneself, in fact maybe being so close to "naturally evil" or at least "pathologically clumsy and a general wast of space". And of course no apology possible. I wonder what it was you did. I wish i had your defence mechanism, because i obviously lack them and feel ready for a retailiatory hara kiri each time i hurt someone's feeling that deeply. And it doesn't help at all in fact.
    I think the best is not doing anything to try to fix the friendship as a goal. Because the goal is somehow ago related, and can be understood by the person as a terrible need of her being your pet again (even though it was probably never the case, but we're dealing with impressions here). so no actions led primarily by the need to clean your slate or to get her to be friends again. But i think a totally selfless act would be wise, even mandatory, before you leave the school and her. Telling her your love and concern without hoping anything in return. Hoping she'll be alright. A proof of heavenly love somehow. If the letter is in this spirit, you should definitely give her, how hard it may be for you. somehow, overcoming this fear of looking like a fool or getting hit back is the best apology.
    I think..
    And i think that, and even more if she looks like she may drift apart, you'd have to get your feelings clear before you part. There won't ever be another occasion like that, and facebook won't heal it eventually.
    Do it. The goal of the exercise is not to mend a friendship, which indeed is likely to fail. It's putting balm on the heart of someone you still care about. And this is much less likely to fail.

    Masterfully ineffectual:
    I know La Trobe and it's quite nice actually. It is absolutely not central : 45 min at least to get to the city, so not ideals for night outs in Fitzroy, except if you don't mind cashing in for taxis. But the rent around it is dirt cheap, so if you found a job, you could even have your own place or share one. Their courses are not bad, they're even better than Melb Uni on some points (like environmental and development studies...). The campus is huge and full of green places, so it's quite a nice place to hang out.. AND I know the guy who manages the surf camp =P.
    But you could investigate and try out different things, so that you can really chose. I know one of my friend got into a great music course when she knows about nothing on theory, but she's a real enthusiast (taking on every instrument at once). I'm not exactly sure where she got but she loves it... I think it was Monash. Have a look ! And have a look at student financial support.. I know all my friends were living out Centerlink.. never know
    Yay Brigade ! It would be fun and i'm sure you'd love it... Personally, seeing how France is underrepresented (the french brigade is represented with a simley raising an eyebrow..) and my city even more, i don't see the point, but i wish the context was more favorable. It would be fun.
    But come on, I'm sure you could make up something... Old clothes, dressing up as something weird and declaiming odd texts you'd written exposing failures of logic.. or the asking question one is good, and i think you'd have time to think it up before amanda returns to australia anyway...

    I'm very impatient to hear/read your songs. I'd love to have them included in a podcast, you explaing how they were born and then the songs sung or something like that... or an atmospheric intro to it...

    suspended animation :
    hehe damn.. random thoughts.. i love the quote.. I 'm not sure it's hormoans.. Maybe mostly frustration at not being able to exchange with enough other human beings i might say. Just a theory.Or else.
    I don't know, hell, I'm busy too...
    -_-

    I'll comment later on the previous sedimentary layers of the blog... digging digging...

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete