Friday 30 October 2009

Ode

I wanted you to ask me what my song was about because I wanted to tell you, even if I couldn’t share it with you. Because it’s about us. Because I have been writing it for a very long time, and it means a lot to me to finally get something that does it justice down on paper. I wanted to call you when I wrote this; I wanted to write this with you rather than for you. I thought I was content with things, but there’s something about talking to you about song writing that has me succumb to failed songwriter’s wretchedness. And I’m sorry; you cannot know how much I don’t want to be like that, but part of me keeps exposing its miserable soft underbelly to you. And in keeping with that theme, if I haven’t already exposed enough of myself, I would like to sing you this song. Forgive me, but I am only doing the best I can.

Do you hear me coming up the street?
The footfalls of my feet, echo out
Once all the shops have shut
But I know you’ll take me in

And the way you love my body
Leaves me breathless to express it
But you’re so free with that affection
That I am jealous of your words

And the aftermath’s a movie
Or a bliss related trip
I walk home in the rain
With our soundtrack on my lips

We can’t not make it into art
Melodies or poetry
Celebrated like Sylvia and Ted
And they’ll still ask, us to play this one
Long after that is dead
But we’ll still laugh
At all the love-struck things I wrote

Cos’ I’ve written love songs as a child
Sappy smitten, coarse and vile
But I couldn’t string two words together,
To say it, any better
Than…

[Chorus:]
This is what we’re made for
For me to want you want me want you more
From the open to the closing door
We should never have to leave the room
Not for other things or clothes or food
One day we’ll make it
When we never have to work no more, my friend

Oh we break the frame better
Than anyone I know
Oh we could joke about anything
Even what’s hap’nin’ below

-And it’s not easy getting home
When we don’t talk on the phone

Oh I should be with you
No, you should be with me
Fall into synchronous in
How we cook and clean and sleep
Eat and work and breathe

And all those things, that you say
They give me a secret smile
Within my boring day

And I want to sing a song for you
And I want to dance all night
But their broken bureaucracy
Gave us no chance, no right

But I don’t care
If it’s us against the world
All those jealous boys and girls
Can think, what they like
About whether, I’m your type…

[Chorus:]
Cos’ this is what we’re made for
For me to want you want me want you more
From the open to the closing door
We should never have to leave the room
Not for other things or clothes or food
One day we’ll make it
When we never have to work no more, my friend


No comments:

Post a Comment